Saturday, November 25, 2006

Games...I guess...What kind of blog name is that OR hello, I am Charlie and this is my first post.

Well, I could have called it "Games? I suppose" or "Games? Why the hell not" or even "Games? Oh for Christ sake...may as well...sure. Why not." But all of those just seemed a bit to depressing or like I'm uninterested in this blog or pc games. I dont take myself or my game projects to seriously but I'm passionate about making games. "Games? I guess" is perfectly placed right in the median of emotions for me.

Come to think of it "Games? Meh." might be better still...lol

Ya see, I've been making board games since I was a lad no taller than my PC tower and then few years ago (about 8 I think) I happened to fall into a HL mod team, ran it and we produced a really good game.

None of us knew what we were doing and that was evident by our 400% turn over rate of members and 6+ years of production. Toward the end of "production" I happened to be the only original guy left. So, I left it myself after it was completed and released on a good note.

Anyway, I was bitten by the game design bug and ever since then I have not stopped working on one project or the other.

I am no programmer, not an audio guy, I cant build a 3D model and I know nothing about business. I do have minimal skills in digital art (of which you can see a shining example of jpgs I made for this blog.)

I'm that guy. Yeah, the "game designer" that's not supposed to exist. The untalented hack who gets guys to build games for him. Yeah. I'm that asshole. The guy with ideas better than yours...lol...or so I am told that's what I think in my beady little head by the other untalented hacks on game design forums. Erm...excuse me. I mean the professional independent game developers who litter forums such as gamedev.net spouting this and that as it were gold falling from their very mouths. You know those guys, right? Those guys are the ones who never ever released a game but speak as though they have. The independent Will Wright's and the Peter Molyneux's of the indie world...but with no product to show...ever.

Those are the fellas who would rather tear some new inspiring developer down to a stump of a man rather than impart some kind of gentle knowledge that will actually assist. I hate those kinds of fucks.

Oh boy. Sorry for the rant. My first blog you see. Figured I'd do it right the first time and then screw it up with future posts.

Now, the vast majority of indie game developers are fantastic guys who'd give you the shirt off their backs not to mention impart priceless wisdom of their experiences...and of their released products.

Thats why i started this little blog. You see, at work I spend the majority of my time scouring the interweb looking for other joes like me and lo and behold was I surprised that guys like me enjoy these things called blogs! Oh happy days!

Anyway, back to the title. "Games? I guess." Is the name I chose for this game development blog because while I love, absolutely love, making PC games I do understand it's but a simple hobby of mine. I'll never get rich making games...and chances are that neither will you my indie friend...but that’s not the point.

The point is to have fun, make friends, and learn new skills.

Oh yeah, skills. Remember, I'm the poor sod with no skills, right? Well, I do have one singularly important talent. To me, it's like gold.

See, I have this uncanny ability to find incredibly talented individuals, convince them that I am not El Diablo, and that it's a good idea to work on my game projects which then becomes their game projects too for fun and profit and exexperience

meh...

No comments: